Wednesday, February 10, 2016

#617PDA #FreeHugsForAll

A few nights back, I was drinking a porter at Bukowski Tavern and feeling really grateful for the work that bartenders do.

Bartenders have kegs of beer. They tap those kegs. Then, they pour beer from those kegs into glasses and serve them to people of all walks of life.

I like beer. But do you know what I like more than beer? LOVE. I love love.

A thought struck me.

We are all individual kegs of love. Some of us pour our love freely and serve it regularly but many of us are untapped love. Love is certainly subjective. However subjective, though, it may be, love is often overcomplicated by societal norms. For example, why don't we show regular love to strangers?
Is there a good reason? Are we too scared to be that vulnerable? Are we too caught up in ourselves to care? Are we too busy to notice the people around us on a daily basis? Do we even know how to communicate love to strangers?

My idea is to attempt simplify that communication process.
Mind you, this idea can't work for everyone. In an ideal world, it could. I know as well as anyone else that the world isn't black and white. There's a lot of gray area. Some people love their space and want strangers to leave them the fuck alone. I get that. I respect that. There is literally nothing wrong with that.

My idea played out like this: I wanted to give people the opportunity to tap their own love while also tapping a communal love that exists in the light underneath all of us. So to simplify: FREE HUGS!

Giving out free hugs is NOT an original idea, nor is bartending. I'm fully aware of that.
However, I'd love the idea of being a server of love. A lightning rod for community. So, I'm dedicated to making #617PDA (Boston Public Displays of Affection) a regular occurrence.
Inspired by the incredible November Project (thanks Brogan and Bojan!), I want to create a love movement in greater Boston. I want to create a flow of positivity that you can rely on. I want to serve Boston love as much as possible.

If you want to be a part of this, hit me up. It's going to be free. It's going to be fun. You won't be able to stop smiling. Your heart will grow 3 times its size.

I did a test run today. In less than 5 hours, I hugged over 100 people. I met Cambridge City Counselor Jan Devereux. Rory and Megan from Live Alive in Central Square joined me for a picture and gave me a Love Alive smoothie. Boston Police officers gave me a group hug. A wonderful gaggle of kindergarteners smothered me at Park Street. My man Steve Furqueron joined me for the Back Bay to Park Street leg of the mission.

Let me tell you something. This feels good. I want you to feel this way.
You deserve it.

Let's spread some free love. Keep an eye on #617PDA

Thanks for reading.

Sending #djblove and #FreeHugsForAll

DJB




1 comment: